Saturday, March 28, 2009

First Back Carry in a Beco


A day of firsts - first time Cave Baby has sat up unaided and managed to entertain herself for an extended period (about half an hour) and her first back carry in our new Beco Baby carrier. Prompted by this discussion on mothering.com we saddled up Cave Father and took a trip to the shops with baby clinging to his back like a little monkey. His verdict? Very comfortable, much more comfortable than carrying a 7.5 kg rucksack, once an issue with the front chest strap hitting his collarbone had been sorted. Cave Baby's verdict? Well she fell asleep in it after half an hour and woke up on the doorstep, so I think that is a baby's equivalent of a thumbs up. And nobody looked at us strangely even in the Post Office queue! So a resounding success. nb The picture is not me (I wish it was).

5 comments:

Earthenwitch said...

Very interesting to read about the back carry. We have got a Storchenwiege wrap which we've recently started to try in a back carry, but so far it's been a sort of mixed success; on me, having breasts is a problem because you either wrap them too (which could also be described as binding..!), or end up doing something slightly unusual with the masses of material left over. We've also got a Wilkinet soft carrier, but I'm not a fan; the picture of your mei-tai shows the babe's legs in that squat-straddle position which is supposed to be the best option for the spine and whatnot, but the Wilkinet is much more sort of dangley, somehow. So, might investigate your version! I've been hankering after a mei-tai for ages...

Oh, and hello. :)

Joxy34 said...

Oh, isn't backcarry just fabulous! Rye quickly got too big for front carry and stumpy arms meant I found back carry with a wrap difficult, mei tai is easypeasy these days. I have a DIY one with wrap like straps (i.e. just very wide straps) and wow for a heavy toddler they are fab and makes him feel almost weightless.

Earthenwitch have a look on Tube for back carries with wraps - there is a variation on the rucksac carry which is very comfortable and doesn't involve crossing the fabric over your boobs... if you do have a lot of fabric left over though, it may be you need a shorter wrap.

Cave Mother said...

When she gets too big for a front carry I'm really going to miss seeing her little face in front of me. But I'm going to try doing the vaccing with her on my back today, so we'll see how that goes. Thanks for reading and commenting.

allgrownup said...

I almost "miss" my man when he's on my back! I always touch his feet :-)
We live in quite a small town, and I as very aware of people staring the first backcarry in public....cars actually slowed down to have a good look at the nut-job lady and her weirdo baby! Don't notice now.

Greenbongo said...

Great rreading your blog post