Monday, June 7, 2010

Bicarb Quickie

This is a quick No Poo update. It is almost three weeks since I last washed my hair with shampoo and, contrary to my expectations, it feels soft, clean and not at all greasy. I want to make it clear that I would not be saying this if it was not true; I did not go into this expecting bicarbonate of soda to work.

My hair does feel a little different to how it used to. It is slightly heavier and fuller than it was after a normal shampoo. After two days without a wash it feels even heavier and thicker, but not as greasy as it would have done two days after a shampoo wash. The appearance of my hair is much the same as it always was, only now I don't have to use serum or blow dry it to get it to look smooth and nice. The biggest change is to my scalp. Previously it was dry, flaky and itchy. All of that has stopped now that I am not using harsh detergents on it.

My routine is currently: put bicarb mix on scalp (about 1/2 tsp bicarb to 1/2 cup water); massage and leave 2 mins; rinse well; squirt on some dilute cider vinegar (about 1 tsp to 100ml water); rinse. I am still doing this every two days. I have tried going longer but I don't like the heavy feeling of my hair; maybe I will be able to leave longer between washes as time goes on.

I am curious to see how things develop and if my hair changes further. The transition period is meant to last anywhere from two weeks to two months, so I might still be in it. I would urge anyone who has a passing interest in No Poo to give it a go because it really is so much less scary than I imagined, and if you have a sensitive scalp then it might be the solution you have always been looking for.

PS I'm going on holiday now so please don't think I'm rude if I don't respond to any comments for a while.

6 comments:

Lisa C said...

So glad it is working for you! I washed my hair with it the other day, and the next day got a really nice compliment on my hair, but the next time I showered with it, it was all icky, so I had to shampoo again. I just need to keep working down my hair's need for shampoo.

I have noticed when I've used it my hair does feel heavier but also fuller.

Unknown said...

I had never thought about not using shampoo until I read this. I might give it a try one day...

Re your earlier post about eczema, have you tried Cetraben (emollient) bath? I know it means using a product but it really helps my son's skin

Lisa C said...

Hey, I noticed you haven't posted in a while. I hope you are out on holiday having fun or something.

Witch Mom said...

I have been wanting my family to try this, and my partner is skeptical. I will show him your blog!

Btw, just started following you. LOve your blog!

Lily, aka Witch Mom

JK said...

Hey Cave Mother, hope things are good with you and that you haven't posted for so long because wonderful things are keeping you so busy... But I for one miss you and just wanted to say hi!

Advik said...

Nice Blog!


.