Friday, May 1, 2009

April in Review

Summary (3 sentence max)
Some challenging times - Cave Baby getting burnt, many hospital visits, horrible car journeys, a nasty cold and her first two teeth coming through. Some wonderful times - sunny days, Cave Baby sitting on the lawn and pulling out handfuls of cool grass, laughing out loud when I tickle her tummy, and saying "dada". Thankfully her scalds have healed well and she only has slightly red patches of skin that are fading quickly.

Fun
Super splashy bathtimes and a dawn chorus of raspberry blowing - maybe not so much fun at 6 o'clock in the morning, though.

Challenging
Keeping my chin up after every hospital appointment.

Thoughtful
Considering whether to go back to my studies and wondering how, practically and emotionally, I will manage to leave my baby with other people.

An insight/thought
That I have been very fortunate in establishing an easy and straightforward breastfeeding relationship while some people have to overcome huge hurdles, right from the beginning.

Website/blog Find
A blogger who appreciates the little joyous moments in life even as she struggles through the more difficult times: This Is Worthwhile.

Words (quote/reading/book recommendation/1 sentence review!/anything word-related)
Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson, but reading it so rarely that I still haven't finished it.

Note to Self
Be patient.

Favourite Tip/Idea from web
Not been browsing much this month, so no new ideas I can think of. Gosh am I in a rut?

Slice of home (A photo of a tiny corner of your home, or objects, that represent something about this month)



Sunny days in the garden (this was being used as a parasol).




Thanks to Holistic Mama for this idea.

6 comments:

Carin said...

Read about cave baby getting burnt. Poor little mite. Hope she is feeling much better now.

Love the pic :)

Jessica said...

Thanks so much for the mention. I had a friend over last night and I was telling her about your site! I really appreciate what you have to say about parenting, etc. It's good to find like-minded people in the world - even if we're an ocean apart!

Unknown said...

Isn't just the life with kids? Ups and downs, like, constantly!

I missed the studies thing. I've commented there. Good luck with your decision.

So happy for you about the successful BFing. Go boobs! lol

I read Behind the Scenes, it was enjoyable enough as I recall.

Here's to a calmer next month with no baby accidents!

Antoinette said...

What a month you've had! I wasn't aware of the cavebaby being burned - I missed that post. Glad to hear she's so much better now. It would have been so distressing for you as well.

And good luck with your decision re PhD study. I returned to mine about 10 months after I had my little girl. I have to say that what followed was a hugely challenging couple of years (what it took to complete the damned thing). I think I'm glad I did it, but I can't say that I didn't pay a price in order to get it done. It can also depend on how much support you can get from those around you. And how much you really want it.
I'll shut-up now. It's a subject that's very close to home for me, and I have to watch I don't run off at the mouth about it.

I love Kate Atkinson's books. Behind the Scenes at the Museum is wunnerful. Little Ruby - I just wanted to bundle her up, take her home and love her to bits, poor wee thing.

Cave Mother said...

Thanks all of you for these comments. And docwitch - thanks for yours re the PhD. It is good to hear from others who have been in this position. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I don't want it enough. Before it was fun, but if it means I have to be away from my baby, then that's more like work. But without the salary that makes it worthwhile. I will discuss it all with my supervisor soon.

Cave Mother said...

Mon: thanks for your comment on the PhD post. I replied there but just to add here in case you don't see it, you are completely right in what you said. And it was quite a relief to have that spelt out to me.